have met many residents who believe that they are unrepresented
at City Hall. Over the past seven months, I have walked
throughout Ward 4 to ask my fellow residents: What are the key
issues you wish your Councillor to focus on?"
Did You Know?
- In the last three years, City Council increased
your property taxes by 12.5% — 50% higher than the rate
of inflation during the same time period.
- City Council failed to protect residents
with respect to the MFP computer lease, which has now cost Toronto
over $100 million — $70 million more than originally expected.
- The State of Michigan has indicated that
it intends to refuse to accept Toronto’s municipal waste.
Toronto sends approximately 130 trucks, hauling 4,000 tonnes of
waste, to the United States per day.
- City Council, on a motion by Ms. Gloria Luby,
disregarded the recommendation of Etobicoke Community Council
(ECC) and increased the height of a development at the corner
of Royal York and Dundas, in Humber Valley Village.
(Minutes of ECC, March 3, 2003; Minutes of City Council, April
14, 15, 16, 2003).
- Toronto has 400 police officers less than
it did in 1999.
- NFPA 1710 requires a minimum of four firefighters
per truck and that Toronto does not meet this standard.
- During debate on the Union Station lease,
Ms. Luby said: “My concern is not whether it’s a 50-year
term or a 100-year term because, frankly, most of us will be dead
in any event.” (Toronto Star, Friday, July 25, 2003, p.